Democracy means listening to everyone and when everyone talks its more difficult to arrive at conclusions. So we need a dictatorship for the moment.. for a brief spell of time and for achieving very specific goals which could never be attained in current circumstances. The things to achieve in such a situation would be:
- To abolish the Majlis… cos Majlis does not represent the people anymore. The Majlis represents two parties with their differing views not us the majority of the people. Of the 2 parties in the Majlis 1 party is simply there to put forward the agenda of the former president and his family. The other party is out there to take revenge on what they have suffered under the regime of the former. Extremely qualified and suitable people were disqualified from entrance to the Majlis in favor of taxi driver class members simply because of the party ticket.
- To redistribute resorts in a fairer more transparent bidding process. Currently only handful of former government cronies hold most of the real estates in our tourism which stifles growth and business diversification. Most of these lucky persons knows not how to run or operate resorts and thats the main reason they are selling of management contracts to big hotel chains worldwide and become sleeping partners.
- To abolish all the political parties and start the process all over again cos there is very little legitimacy in most of these political parties which were created by a fictitious signatures over lists of Identity Card information database which was made available to those who wanted to created a party at that time. Despite the known illegitimacy of these parties most of which does not engage in politics at any level, the government has to payout millions every year. A notorious wastage of public money in crunch time.
- Discard the constitution and write it a new. Cos the latest version of our constitution was specifically designed to suit the failure or success of the former government and this is amply evident in the clauses pertaining to the power transition period. The days when the last chapters were debated were especially bleak and dark days of our country’s history where we saw members of the then ruling party disrupting the debate on the minutest of difference to their view… We need not reward the enemies of democracy by adopting their literature but we need to make a fresh new one untouched by greed and party politics..
- To start another capital city island like Male’ somewhere else possibly in Laam atoll which is the center of the country. Male’ is too crowded a place for healthy or safe living and Male’ was deliberately congested to provide easy income for native Male’ people. There is great social inequity here and this could be well addressed by having another capital. Male’ does not have to be devalued but just another island has to be given the title of economic capital island and developed as such.