The recent change of administration in the country raises a lot of interesting questions. Already the vanquished MDP party has determined that the former president Anni was unseated by a military (or a civilian?) coup. The opposition claims otherwise. So who is telling the truth and who is lying? Or could it be that this situation has also joined the philosophical realm where both truth and falsehood are somehow intertwined?
So we leave our friends and fellow resort workers to answer these questions below. If they are pro MDP then they may answer the “If so” questions. The rest may answer the “If not” questions…
- Who are the coup leaders? A few private police boys cannot hide after doing such a big thing.
- What were the motivation? Over work? Fatigue? Could be because there has been almost constant nightly demonstrations prior to the fateful day.
- Are the police and military same minded? Remember, there is only HQ for all our forces.
- There are allegations that police and military were bribed. But they are also highly paid, so who would have financed the big bribery campaign? How much could be the tipping point for a serviceman/woman? We understand that the average monthly salary of our armed forces personnel is higher than 1000$ per month.
- Why did it took a huge MDP congress meeting to realize that it was a coup?
- Why did the MDP congress hastily pass a resolution to block the line of communication with the current administration and called it illegitimate?
- Why did the police allow massive damage to their facilities in the islands? We understand that more than 9 regional police and military facilities were torched by angry MDP mobs. More than 30 police and military vehicles have also been torched in Addu alone, most of them have only recently been donated by China for the SAARC summit.
- Did the command structure broke down after the coup? Does that happen after the military win? After they win why did they gave command again to an unpopular president and an even more unpopular and ineffectual opposition coalition?
- Why did the police use excessive force to breakup the first strike after Anni was unseated?
- Why did they (who?) changed the official TV channel (MNBC1) to its former name (TVM)?
- Why did they hastily gave ownership of all government media to opposition media regulatory body MBC?
- Why did the criminal court issue an arrest warrant for former president Mohamed Nasheed (Anni)?
- Why is the parliament (still on vacation) uncharacteristically quiet when these massive developments happen? MDP has the majority even in the parliament now and yet they seem to unable to cut their all important holiday short– when the country is literally burning.